The FRDM-KW41Z is a development kit enabled by the Kinetis® W series KW41Z/31Z/21Z (KW41Z) family built on ARM® Cortex®-M0+ processor with integrated 2.4 GHz transceiver supporting Bluetooth® Smart/Bluetooth® Low Energy (BLE) v4.2, Generic FSK, IEEE® 802.15.4 and Thread.
The FRDM-KW41Z can be used as a standalone board or as an Arduino shield. This document covers usage as a shield; see NXP FRDM-KW41Z for usage as a standalone board.
To use the FRDM-KW41Z as a Bluetooth low energy controller shield with a serial host controller interface (HCI):
- Download the MCUXpresso SDK for FRDM-KW41Z from the MCUXpresso SDK Builder Website .
- Open the MCUXpresso IDE or IAR project in
source/common/app_preinclude.hand add the following line:
#define gSerialMgrRxBufSize_c 64
- Build the project to generate a binary
- Connect the FRDM-KW41Z board to your computer with a USB cable. A USB mass storage device should enumerate.
- Program the binary to flash by copying it to the USB mass storage device.
- Remove the USB cable to power down the board.
- Configure the jumpers J30 and J31 such that: - J30 pin 1 is attached to J31 pin 2 - J30 pin 2 is attached to J31 pin 1 The jumpers should be parallel to the Arduino headers. This configuration routes the UART RX and TX signals to the Arduino header, rather than to the OpenSDA circuit.
- Attach the FRDM-KW41Z to the Arduino header on your selected main board, such as NXP MIMXRT1050-EVK or NXP FRDM-K64F.
- Set CONFIG_SHIELD_FRDM_KW41Z=y in your Zephyr bluetooth application.